Our appointment with the lawyer was scheduled for 2 pm today. I have reminded K every day since Friday to ask her boss off for an extended lunch on Monday. Every day, she has said "Oh, I forgot". Before she left this morning, I reminded her one more time. "Our appointment is at 2. You need to ask off. This is a very, very important meeting."
Something told me she wouldn't ask, in part because it IS such a big decision, but mostly because she would rather collect $8 an hour instead of dealing with reality. So, I over stepped my boundaries and I called her manager. I just told him that K had been living with me for a year now, but was getting ready to move out on her own. I told him we were trying to get guardianship over A and that Friday I found a lawyer willing to see us today at 2. I told him, at most, I would need her for two hours but that it was very important she attend this meeting. He said he would make an exception (she's on probation at work and this wasn't a written request). I almost burst into tears. (Hormonal much?)
Sure enough, K called me about an hour after she arrived at work telling me they wouldn't let her off. (She lied.) I told her that I had called earlier and spoke to her manager M and he agreed to let her off. She was a bit shocked. She told me she would call me back. A few minutes later, she did. Of course, he told her she could take off for a few hours.
Our appointment was pushed back from 2 to 2:30. Then it was 2:30 to 3. And when we arrived at 2:4, it was pushed back from 3 to 3:30. Apparently the lawyer had a medical emergency, which obviously he couldn't help since he's having surgery on Wednesday.
Anyways, after spending about 30 mins talking to the guy, we've been given a few options. We just have to get her to agree to one of them, pay the fees, and it can be finished in about a week. No court hearing needed.
I called my mom after we dropped K back off at work to let her know what was discussed. She was livid that K didn't sign then. In fact, after my mom got off work, she called K and pretty much told her so. I think my mom got a little bit emotional, so after they got into it K left for an hour. When she got back, I went downstairs and talked to K for a bit.
I made her an offer, hopefully one she'll take. She told me she'll think about things over the next two days and give me a decision by Wednesday evening. The lawyer will be out until at least next Monday, so even if she agrees, we'll be on eggshells until we can get the paperwork rolling.
We've had our heartstrings in a tangled mess for weeks now. I'm so exhausted. NYEBoy is so exhausted. My mother is so exhausted. I just want her to do what's best for A.
Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Hopefully we'll have a resolution one way or another soon.